Blogs > 37th Frame

Photography, notes, commentary and much more from former Reporter Online Editor Chris Stanley.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Human remains


A History Channel show Monday night ("Life After People," 9 pm ET) asks an interesting question: what would happen if all the people on earth suddenly vanished? Think about it. Everything you think of as 'permanent' really isn't; nature would swallow up mankind's creations much faster than we realize. Metal, brick, plastic, and even ceramic would fall to dust within a short period of time.
There is a defunct garden center on Welsh Road down toward Willow Grove that I have been watching fall to pieces for the past couple of years. Every time I drive by, a little more of the structure has fallen to the ground. Cut-rate demolition, I guess.
So what do you think would be the very last remnant of human civilization left standing if the premise of this show played out? I have a little bit of insider information on this one...but I won't ruin the surprise. I'll just say that when I found out, I had one of those "oh, yeah...of course!" moments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home